Friday, July 29, 2011

Baby #2, IVF and The Big "C" Scare

I've been debating back and forth on how much of my medical/personal stuff I was going to put out there and I decided, what the hell, I'm going all out. If anything I was hoping that by sharing my own health issues it would provide support to those going through similar situations and to let them know you are NOT alone!  The whole reason I started blogging in the first place was because I wished I had chronicled things while we were TTC with Brayden, so in the mindset of not being counterproductive why not just put all out there...so here we go!

Backtracking...  Jason and I had decided that while I am enjoying my temporary status of being a stay at home mom it would be a good time to start thinking about baby #2.  We hadn't exactly been "trying" but we weren't preventing. I was pretty sure that I wasn't even ovulating but we had fun "trying" anyway. I got my first cycle about 11 weeks postpartum and they have been erratic since then. Thank you PCOS. Knowing EVERYTHING we had went through to conceive with Brayden we decided to set up an appointment with the RE (reproductive endocrinologist) about doing another round of IVF.  The appt went great, we still have 15 embryos (aka snow babies) on ice so we have plenty to work with. The Dr did another round of blood work to see what my "hormone" situation is, and it confirmed that I am not ovulating. No big surprise b/c I have never ovulated with out stim meds and/or some form of trigger. So the game plan was to induce my cycle with Provera(progesterone) and then when I get the following cycle (which would prob need to be induced as well) we would start the meds to do another round of IVF called a FET (frozen embryo transfer).  The RE said that b/c we still have so many embryos we would thaw 6 again and take the best two grade and transfer them.  We are a little nervous about the prospect of twins with Brayden being so young but we will be happy with whatever we are blessed with.  We will just be happy if it works. Last time Brayden's twin didn't make it past 6 weeks so we are worried that if we only transfer one it wouldn't work.  Guess we will see what is meant to be!

So in preparation to do the FET I needed to get my annual Pap Smear. I had my appt the same week as my RE appt so it worked out well. I was just hoping the results would come back and we would be good to go.  In the mean time I had gotten my cycle and we were inducing for the next one to start my IVF meds. Of course I has a VERY short cycle (only 19 days) and I got my period, which for me is unheard of.  So of course I thought it was a good sign. But the joke was on me. That same day I got a call from my OB saying that my pap smear came back abnormal and I needed to have a Colposcopy and biopsy done of the area. I was really upset that we had to delay the FET but I knew that we needed to make sure things were okay. A few years before we got pregnant with Brayden I had the same thing happen and the biopsy came back okay so we didn't have any issues. This time I was not as lucky. Of course the day I got the call I missed the call and the OB left me a message to call her. I have NEVER gotten a call from the ob no matter what has been going on so I knew it couldn't be good. I didn't get the message till after the office was closed so I myself a night full of anxiety till I could talk to someone the next morning. When I called the next morning the dr wasn't in but I told them I HAD to talk to someone. They got the nurse shannon on the phone for me. She is amazing, she is usually the one you get calls from or if you have any questions shes soooo helpful. Apparently my biopsy came back as pre-cancerous. I had a surgical consult with the dr a week or so later and she explained that the cells had mutated so rapidly from the time of my pap to the colposcopy that they were the stage right before cervical cancer. NOT what I expected on hearing.  I was elated that is wasn't fully blown cancer but the prospect of having something so wrong really scared me. I didn't even want to think about the "what if's" or ever leaving my husband and beautiful baby boy.  Needless to say we had to cancel out IVF cycle. I am just grateful that we caught it before it turned in to full blown cancer. 

So the game plan from here was to do a procedure called a LEEP. It's where they cut out the affected part of your cervix.  I just had the procedure this week and the dr said it all went well. They did it at the Cooper Surgical Center under twilight anesthesia. They gave me the option to do it on the office with NO anesthesia and i just laughed. After everything my body went though with Brayden's delivery and as I call it the "after math" there is no way I was putting myself in an unnecessary pain.  I go back for a follow up in 2 1/2 weeks. The dr said they will allow us to continue IVF in about 3-4 months. So we are looking at Oct/Nov, I have to call the RE and see what they say as far as a timeline b/c they obviously are the ones who give the go ahead. 

I'm feeling a little bit better about everything, emotionally at least.  I'm still hurting some from the procedure but I will live. I had a lot of help the day of and after with Brayden so that really helped. My mom watched the baby while Jason took me to the procedure and my sister Katie came over that night and stayed the next day till Jason got home from work.  Having her there was a god sent.  I have to laugh at things b/c I should of known that "just" doing another round of IVF would be so simple.  If anyone knows me, I never do things easy. lol 

I really love my RE and OB office! For anyone in our area looking for a good dr here's the information:

Cooper OBGYN: I usually see Dr Salvatore, but Dr Suarez did my procedure and Dr. Mama did Brayden's forcept delivery. They are all AMAZING! They have a few offices but I go to the Marlton location.
Located:  127 Church Rd, Marlton, NJ 08053
Phone: 856-983-5691

Cooper IVF: Dr Check's office is one of the TOP rated in the state and has awesome success rates, I'm proof it works. lol I've dealt with almost all of the dr's at the office, you really can't go wrong.
Located: 8002E Greentree Commons (rt73), Marlton, NJ 08053
Phone: 856-751-5575

No comments:

Post a Comment