Saturday, February 19, 2011

Cakes, Cakes, Cakes!

I have SO many different types of crafty things that I love to do. Everything from photography to home decor to crafting.  My latest endeavor is making cakes/decorating. In the past I haven't really done too much in the decor department other than working with fondant. Even then my skills are solely self taught based on whatever knowledge I have gotten from online.  (gotta love you tube videos lol).  My first attemt at fondant was my sister Amy's baby shower cake almost 2 years ago. I did a belly cake and honestly i think it turned out great for never working with the medium before.


So I decided for Brayden's Christening I would take on the challenge of another fondant cake. It turned out okay. Of course being the hyper critical person that I am I am never fully satisfied. I definitely learned a few things.. like don't make fondant pearls by hand.... they are a huge PITA and are not "perfect" looking. Next time i'm looking on the plastic mold online! :)  So here's how it turned out.. Took me about 6 hours total. 
It's a 2 layer fondant cake. With diamond quilting and pearl accents. 


I also signed up for a Wilton Cake decorating class at my local AC moore. It's 4 weeks long. We have done  2 classes so far. Since i have NO expericne working with actual icing i thought it would be a great idea to take the course. Right now we are learning decorator basics and the other 2 courses you can take get in to the really fun stuff like gumpaste and fondant.For now we are learning basic piping and design. Here's what we have done so far. 

week 2: tracing designs on cakes and filling them

week 1: making icing, cake basics and using star tips

I can't wait to learn how to do much more... I really making things (when i can find the time) so pass the word on if you want me to make you a cake :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment